The Psalms (and a Canticle from
Worshipping God in and Through Nature
Ps. 17, Daniel 3, Ps. 148, Ps. 28, Ps. 996, Ps. 64
1. I love Thee, O Lord, my strength, * O Lord, my rock, my fortress, my
2. My God, my rock of refuge, * my shield, the horn of my salvation, my
3. Praise be the Lord, I exclaim, * and I am safe from my enemies.
4. The breakers of death surged round about me, * the destroying floods
5. The cords of the nether world enmeshed me, * the snares of death overtook
6. In my distress I called upon the Lord * and cried out to my God;
7. From His temple He heard my voice, * and my cry to Him reached His ears.
8. The earth swayed and quaked; the foundations of the mountains trembled
* and shook when His wrath flared up.
9. Smoke rose from His nostrils, and a devouring fire from His mouth *
that kindled coals into flame.
10. And He inclined the heavens and came down * with dark clouds under His
11. He mounted a cherub and flew, * borne on the wings of the wind.
12. And He made darkness the cloak about Him; * dark, misty rain clouds
13. From the brightness of His presence * coals were kindled to flame.
14. And the Lord thundered from heaven; * the Most High gave forth His
15. He sent forth His arrows to put them to flight, * with frequent
lightnings He routed them.
16. Then the bed of the sea appeared, * and the foundations of the world
were laid bare,
17. At the rebuke of the Lord, * at the blast of the wind of His wrath.
18. He reached out from on high and grasped me; * He drew me out of the
19. He rescued me from my mighty enemy * and from my foes, who were too
powerful for me.
20. They attacked me in the day of my calamity, * but the Lord came to my
21. He set me free in the open, * and rescued me, because He loves me.
[ SNIP ]
Canticle of the Three Young Men
Daniel iii: 57-88, 56
1. Bless the Lord, all you works of the Lord, * praise and exalt Him above
2. Angels of the Lord, bless the Lord, * you heavens, bless the Lord.
1. All you waters above the heavens, bless the Lord; * all you hosts of
the Lord, bless the Lord.
2. Sun and moon, bless the Lord; * stars of heaven, bless the Lord. --
1. Every shower and dew, bless the Lord; * all you winds, bless the Lord.
2. Fire and heat, bless the Lord; * cold and chill, bless the Lord.
1. Dew and rain, bless the Lord; * frost and cold, bless the Lord.
2. Ice and snow, bless the Lord; * nights and days, bless the Lord.
1. Light and darkness, bless the Lord; * lightnings and clouds, bless the
2. Let the earth bless the Lord, * praise and exalt Him above all forever.
1. Mountains and hills, bless the Lord; * everything growing from the
earth bless the Lord.
2. You springs, bless the Lord; * seas and rivers, bless the Lord.
1. You dolphins, and all water creatures, bless the Lord; * all you birds
of the air, bless the Lord.
2. All you beasts, wild and tame, bless the Lord; * praise and exalt Him
above all forever. --
1. You sons of men, bless the Lord; * servants of the Lord, bless the
2. Spirits and souls of the just, bless the Lord; * holy men of humble
heart, bless the Lord.
1. Ananias, Azarias, Misael, bless the Lord; * praise and exalt Him above
2. Let us bless the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost, * let us praise
and exalt God above all forever.
1. Blessed art Thou, O Lord, in the firmament of heaven, * praiseworthy
and glorious forever!
1. Praise the Lord from the heavens, * praise Him in the heights;
2. Praise Him all you Angels, * praise Him, all you his hosts.
1. Praise Him, sun and moon; * praise Him all you shining stars.
2. Praise Him, you highest heavens, * and you waters above the heavens.
1. Let them praise the name of the Lord, * for He commanded and they were
2. He established them forever and ever; * He gave them a duty which shall
not pass away. --
1. Praise the Lord from the earth, * you sea monsters and all depths;
2. Fire and hail, snow and mist, * storm winds that fulfill His word;
1. You mountains and all you hills, * you fruit trees and all you cedars;
2. You wild beasts, and all you tame animals, * you creeping things, and
all you winged fowl.
1. Let the kings of the earth, and all peoples, * the princes and all the
judges of the earth,
2. Young men too, and maidens, * old men and boys,
1. Praise the name of the Lord, * for His name alone is exalted;
2. His majesty is above earth and heaven, * and He has lifted up the horn
of His people.
1. Be this His praise from all His faithful ones, * from the children of
Israel, the people close to Him.
1. Give to the Lord, all you sons of God, * give to the Lord glory and
2. Give to the Lord the glory due His name; * adore the Lord in holy attire.
1. The voice of the Lord is over the waters, the God of glory thunders, *
the Lord over vast waters.
2. The voice of the Lord is mighty; * the voice of the Lord is majestic.
1. The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars, * the Lord breaks the cedars
2. He makes Lebanon leap like a calf * and Sarion like a young wild bull.
1. The voice of the Lord strikes fiery flames; the voice of the Lord
shakes the desert, * the Lord shakes the wilderness of Cades.
2. The voice of the Lord twists the oaks, and strips the forests, * and in
His temple all say, "Glory!"
1. The Lord is enthroned above the flood; * the Lord is enthroned as king
2. May the Lord give strength to His people; * May the Lord bless His
people with peace!
1. The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice; * let the many isles be glad.
2. Clouds and darkness are round about Him, * justice and judgement are
the foundation of His throne.
1. Fire goes before Him, * and consumes His foes round about.
2. His lightnings illumine the orb of the world; * the earth sees and
1. The mountains melt like wax before the Lord, * before the Lord of all
2. The heavens proclaim His justice, * and all peoples see His glory.ÄÄ
1. All who worship graven things are put to shame, who glory in the things
of nought; * all gods are prostrate before Him.
2. Sion hears, and is glad, and the cities of Juda rejoice * because of
Thy judgements, O Lord.
1. Because Thou, O Lord, are the Most High over all the earth, * exalted
far above all gods.
2. The Lord loves those that hate evil; He guards the lives of His
faithful ones; * from the hand of the wicked He delivers them.
1. Light dawns for the just; * and gladness, for the upright of heart.
2. Be glad in the Lord, you just, * and give thanks to His holy name.
1. To Thee, we owe our hymn of praise, O God, in Sion; * to Thee must vows be
fulfilled, Thou who hear prayers.
2. To Thee all flesh must come * because of wicked deeds.
1. We are overcome by our sins; * Thou art the pardoner.
2. Blessed the man Thou choose, and bring * to dwell in Thy courts.
1. May we be filled with the good things of Thy house, * the holy things of
2. With awe inspiring deeds of justice Thou answer us, * O God our savior.
1. The hope of all the ends of the earth, * and of the distant seas.
2. Thou set the mountains in place by Thy power, * Thou who art girt with
1. Thou still the roaring of the seas, * the roaring of their waves, and
the tumult of the peoples.
2. And the dwellers at the earth's ends are in fear at Thy marvels; * the
farthest east and west Thou make resound with joy.
1. Thou hast visited the land and watered it; * greatly hast Thou enriched
2. God's watercourses are filled, Thou hast prepared the grain. * Thus,
Thou hast prepared the land.
1. Drenching its furrows, * breaking up its clods.
2. Softening it with showers, * blessing its yield.
1. Thou hast crowned the year with Thy bounty, * and Thy paths overflow
with a rich harvest.;
2. The untilled meadows overflow with it, * and rejoicing clothes the
1. The hills are garmented with flocks, and the valleys blanketed with
grain. * They shout and sing for joy.